Monday, May 4, 2020

I Am a Champagne Cork

What kind of cork are you?

There's a lot going on right now. For everyone. For you. For me. All sorts of different things for different people. Not just Covid. Lots more than just Covid.

Dave presented me with what I think is a brilliant metaphor. It has helped me immensely. I think it can help anyone. Here it is: I am a cork on the ocean.

So start by just picturing that in your head. See the ocean. Now see the cork floating on the ocean. What do you see the cork doing?

It's simply floating on top. If there's a little ripple, the cork bobs up and down with the ripple. If there is a swell, the cork goes up and down with the swell. If there's a big wave, the cork may go under a bit but then pops back up to the surface to continue being buoyed up by the water.

We are the corks.

Tides. Swells. Riptides. Whitecaps. Calm stillness. Gentle lapping. Waves.
They're all different.

Recognize what you can control.

I guess in a nutshell the idea is don't fight what you can't change. There's plenty you can change. And should change. There's plenty you can fight. And should fight. But distinguish what is a purposeful use of your energy from what might be an ineffectual use of your energy. I carefully chose the word ineffectual. It means "not producing any of the desired effect".  It doesn't say "not producing much of the desired effect". Any. Not producing any of the desired effect. Your energy is important. Put it to good use.

I'm riding the Covid wave right now, because there's just not much I can do about a quarantine pandemic. I have more effectual uses for my energy.

So I have decided that I am a champagne cork.

What kind of cork are you?


No comments:

Post a Comment