Saturday, April 21, 2018

Thanks So Much, and You Have a Great Weekend, Too

"Hello?"
"Hello, is Kimberley there?"
"This is she." (That's what I said, but in my head I was thinking oh shit, what organization is going to ask me for my money today...)
"Hi Kimberley. I don't want to take up too much of your time, but I wanted to let you know that in the upcoming election for DA, the Police Association supports Ann Marie Schubert. Can we count on your vote for Ann Marie?" Right to the point! Nice!

Okay, now there's a couple of ways to go here.

I could just hang up. But I never do that. It's rude. (Although if I try to get a few words in and the person on the other end just will NOT let me speak, then I will hang up. Because then THEY are being rude, not me.)

I could simply respond in the way that will most expediently and politely get me off the phone and say, "Why yes, you absolutely can count on my vote!" and be done with it. But again, I never do that (unless it's true) because I don't want to lie (plus, if you say yes right away I'm pretty sure they will switch gears and ask you for a donation to the campaign).

What I did do was to answer honestly.

"Well, I'm actually one of those people who like to research the candidates, especially in a race as important as DA in times like these. It seems to me that Ms. Schubert has done a decent job so far, but I know there is a man challenging her and running slightly to her left, so I'd like to look into why he's running and the changes he thinks are needed before I commit my vote." This is the point when the conversation can easily go south, when the person on the other end of the line starts talking at you, instead of to you.

"Ma'am, I completely understand that. And I appreciate that you are taking the time to do that." OK, very nice. I like being appreciated.

"Thank you, and I appreciate knowing that the police are supporting Ms. Schubert. I will tuck that piece of information away and consider it as I make my decision." Returned the appreciation, did not relinquish my vote, and kept a smile in my voice. The lady on the other end sounds quite nice, actually.

"Ma'am, thank you so much for your time today. Please consider that Assemblyman Jim Cooper and all five Sacramento County Supervisors also support Ms. Schubert, along with the Deputy Sheriff's Association." More information for me to use as I begin my due diligence. And most impressively, she hasn't badgered me at all. She has not bashed the opposing candidate. She hasn't pushed me. She hasn't asked for money.

"Thank you. I definitely will take that into consideration. And thanks so much for taking your time to do this and be part of the process. I appreciate what you do." We're both going to gag on mutual appreciation at any moment.

"Thank you. And you have a great weekend, ma'am. Thank you for listening."

And really, that's all I did was listen. That's not hard to do when the speaker is being respectful.

"Thanks so much, and you have a great weekend, too."

And that was that.

No comments:

Post a Comment