Sunday, June 2, 2019

In Favor of Cocktails

I made margaritas yesterday evening. And by evening I mean 4:59pm.

It took me a long time to come to margaritas. And tequila in general. I never drank it in college--didn't like the taste (as if that mattered--but it did, to me, at the time). I didn't like it in early adulthood. Just not a flavor that appealed to me for whatever reason.

But in my fifties--for whatever reason--tequila appeals. It tastes good. Not in shots. Really, let's be honest. Nothing tastes good in shots. Can we all just admit that now, as adults? Vodka has no taste. Whisky is nasty and no one likes the smell (and we all threw up on 7 and 7's in college--you know you did! Admit it!). Rum is just...rum. What's the point of rum? I mean, if you just want to get drop dead drunk fast, I guess shots might be your game. But that's never my goal (anymore). Now, a nice buzz, built up over an hour or two--yeah, that's a can-do.

So margaritas. Yes, please.

Yesterday, I made my own simple syrup (truly, simple--equal sugar to water ratio heated until sugar dissolves and then cooled) and squeezed fresh lime juice instead of using "sweet and sour" mix. No triple sec, either. Just lime juice, simple syrup, ice and tequila. Freakin' delicious. And I forgot to salt the rims of our glasses. Imagine how great these drinks would have been if I had actually followed ALL of the directions!?

And while we're on the topic, is there anything more refreshing on a warm evening (except, I guess, now that I've discovered it, a margarita on the rocks) than a gin and tonic? No. No there is not. That is the correct answer.

Okay, a good IPA. That might be an acceptable alternative answer.

But there's just something fun about making a cocktail. The glasses. The ingredients. The ratios. The mixing. The twist of lemon and the squeeze of lime.

And maybe a friend or two (or ten) to share your delicious alcoholic bounty.

Bring it, summer. My cocktail shaker is ready.

Ok, I meant that literally. I have a cocktail shaker. I'm ready to make cocktails. There was no double-entendre intended with that. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment