Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Thank you, Dad

Today, I was scheduled to docent a tour at the California Museum at 9:45am. It's about a fifteen minute drive to the museum from my house, door to door.

Today, I went out to my car to head to the museum and when I pressed the garage door opener, it went about four inches up (all askew) and then stopped. I pressed the button again, and the door went back down. I pressed again, and again it went up about four inches (again, all askew) and stopped. The garage door was broken. I was stranded. There was no way to get my car out. I had no way to get to the museum.

I called Dave, who happened to be at the gym. He headed home, and assessed the situation. The garage door was, indeed, broken. He handed me his keys. I headed out to the museum.

I arrived at the museum at 9:40am. Five minutes before I was scheduled. In time to greet my group of fourth graders. In time to do my job.

Thank you, Dad.

Thank you for all the years we left our house bleary-eyed because we got up before the crack of dawn.
Thank you for all the years that we arrived at the airport hours before our flight.
Thank you for enduring all of the teasing that went (goes) with arriving at the airport hours early.
Thank you for instilling in me the idea that early is on time.

Today, I was scheduled to docent a tour at the California Museum at 9:45am. My garage door broke. I couldn't get my car out. Dave had to drive home from the gym and give me his car keys.

And today, even with all of that crazy happening, I arrived at the museum with time to spare. Because I left early. Because that's what you taught me.

Thank you, Dad :)

No comments:

Post a Comment