Saturday, July 8, 2017

Things That Make Me Happy

It occurs to me that we (and by "we" I mean generally all of humanity) spend a lot of time thinking about things that bother us. We ruminate extensively on things gone wrong.

For example: that guy who cuts us off in the parking lot... how many different people do we mention that to? And why do we keep talking about it... we can't do anything about it. It's over and done. We should be moving on. But we like to linger on the irritation. Why do we like to do that?

Wouldn't it be great if I had the answer to that question?! I don't, unfortunately. I could probably posit a lot of theories, but I would have absolutely no evidence to back them up. It would just be me pretty much doing a little armchair analyzing of the American psyche. 

So instead of doing that (because there'd really be no point to that), I thought instead I would ruminate extensively on things that make me happy. Which I think we should all do more often. It's way more fun than talking about that guy in the parking lot.

So here we go... things that make me happy!

When my kids call to tell me about some fun thing that happened to them that day. First of all, it just makes me happy that my kids call. And also it makes me delirious how happy they actually are. You know when you are listening to someone and you can tell, even though you can't see them, that they're smiling really big? That's the kind of phone calls I love from my kids.

Watching Dave teach himself a new woodworking skill. The man has more patience than a saint. I'm sure he gets frustrated at times and he probably makes mistakes, but he never seems to get rattled. He just approaches things with such a deliberate expectation that he will eventually succeed that I find it inspiring and that makes me happy.

Random texts from my best friend, Lynda. The texts can say anything. It just puts a smile on my face when I see her name on my phone screen. 

Driving my car. I just got a new Subaru Outback in December, and I absolutely love it. Like no other car I've ever had. I can't explain it. I just thoroughly enjoy driving my car no matter where I'm going. Kind of weird, I know, but true.

San Francisco. Everything about that city makes me happy. I love the weather. I love the Ferry Building. I love the food. I love the bridges. The skyline. The Embarcadero (my favorite place in the world to run). The hotels. Just everything. I could spend months there just hanging out.

Stories about people who do nice things because they are just very nice, decent people. I just read this blurb about a family that was driving home one warm evening, and the dad has the mom pull over and drop him off and he tells her to just head home, he'll walk the rest of the way. The mom didn't know what was going on, but she stops and lets him out and as she's driving away she looks back and the dad has walked back a couple of houses and has taken over mowing the lawn for an elderly gentleman. What a great example for his kids. 

Daisies. I like their simplicity. 

The smell of the ocean.

The feeling of a summer morning when you walk outside really early and it's not yet hot but it's not even close to cold. 

Every. Single. Song. of. "Hamilton".

The late-night sound of Steven and Olivia laughing their heads off together.

Airplane travel. I know, right? Didn't expect that did you? Who loves airplane travel? I do! First of all there's the fun of going somewhere. And then the day you leave it's like you get to go through an entire checklist of things that need to get done, which is always satisfying... security clearance, check your gate number, get a snack, line up for boarding, settle in to your seat... it's all just exciting to me. And also, when you look around at airports, by and large people are pretty happy. Not everyone, of course (there's always that ONE family you hope you don't have to sit next to on the plane). But mostly. Look around the next time you're waiting for a flight. It's usually not random chaos and disconsolate travelers. It's the opposite. People quietly reading, kids looking out giant windows at airplanes, couples having animated conversations. Happiness.

Brandon Crawford. Because that guy is having just pretty much a frustrating year in the batter's box, but his fielding is still so Golden Glove graceful that regardless of how badly the Giants are losing, I still want to watch Craw at shortstop. 

I feel like I could go on and on and on, and what a nice feeling that is. 



We are surrounded by a world with no shortage of events, people, places and tweets that can effect us one way or another. Maybe the next time someone does something that irks you, or you see something that is disappointing, look around and try to find something uplifting that's going on, however small.

I think we tend to find what we are looking for. 













No comments:

Post a Comment